"Rolling in the Deep" is a song recorded by British singer-songwriter Adele for her second studio album, 21. The song was written by Adele and Paul Epworth. The singer herself describes it as a "dark blues-y gospel disco tune". The largest crossover hit in the United States from the past 25 years, "Rolling in the Deep" gained radio airplay from many different radio formats. It was first released on 29 November 2010 as the lead single from 21 in digital download format. The lyrics describe the emotions of a scorned lover.
"Rolling in the Deep" was acclaimed by music critics and represented a commercial breakthrough for Adele, propelling her to international success. The song reached number one in 11 countries and the top five in many more regions. It was Adele's first number-one song in the United States, reaching the top spot on many Billboard charts, including the Billboard Hot 100 where it was number one for seven weeks. By February 2012, "Rolling in the Deep" had sold over 7,600,000 copies in the United States, making it the highest selling digital song by a female artist in the US, the second best-selling digital song in the US and Adele's best-selling single outside her native country, topping her previous best-selling "Chasing Pavements". Worldwide, it was the fifth best selling digital single of 2011 with sales of 8.2 million copies, later going on to sell over 14 million copies. The song spent 65 weeks on the chart, making the song the fourth most weeks spent on the chart, tying the place with Jewel with her double single "Foolish Games"/"You Were Meant for Me". -- Wikipedia
The Adele song Rolling in the Deep was covered by ...
All cover versions with details (partly from Wikipedia)
- In February 2011, Mike Posner covered the song.
- The same month, Scottish band Kassidy covered it.
- John Legend uploaded an R&B a cappella version of the song in April 2011 on SoundCloud.
- Belgian singer Maureen covered it on the May 16, 2011 compilation "Het beste uit Idool 2011".
- Jonathan Groff & Lea Michele (Glee Cast) covered it for the second season episode "Prom Queen" on the May 23, 2011. The single charted at number 29 on the Billboard Hot 100 and at 49 on the UK Singles Chart and was later released on the album "Glee: The Music, Vol.6".
- David Cook covered it on his June 28, 2011 album "This Loud Morning".
- Linkin Park covered it at the 2011 iTunes Festival as an acoustic version, with Chester Bennington as the vocalist. This recording was released on July 8, 2011 as "iTunes Festival: London 2011".
- On 14 July 2011, Patti Smith covered "Rolling in the Deep" during a performance at the Castle Clinton.
- Popular child singer and Britain's Got Talent 2007 finalist Connie Talbot has also covered the song on her YouTube channel (uploaded on Jul 17, 2011) and received over 20 million hits. Because Connie's version was recorded with a camera, it was later re-mixed in order for the music to be heard better.
- In July 2011, PS22 Chorus sang the song at the Newport Folk Festival.
- Beth covered it on her July 2011 digital release "Covers".
- Quentin Elias released a cover of the song as a single on 6 September 2011. It also appears on his EP I Can Do Bad All By Myself released simultaneously.
- The Piano Guys uploaded a cover to YouTube on 7 September 2011 and on their January 18, 2013 digital release "The Piano Guys".
- The Collective performed the song on the third season of The Sing-Off. It was released on Sep 26, 2011 in the compilation "The Sing-Off - Season 3: Episode 2 - Signature Songs".
- Tim Halperin covered it on his September 27, 2011 digital release "Acoustic Sessions".
- Dick Brave & The Backbeats covered it on their October 18, 2011 album"Rock 'n' Roll Therapy".
- The Spanish Band Auryn covered the song In their October 18, 2011 album "Endless Road, 7058".
- Corey Gray covered it on his October 2011 digital release "Discovery - Vol.1".
- Misha B performed a 'show-stopping' cover of the track on the eighth season of The X Factor on October 2011. The Daily Telegraph noted that Misha B delivered "impressive soulful vocals and a quirky rapping style" injecting it with a "fresh UK urban twist".
- Mexican sibling trio Vazquez Sounds released a cover version which quickly became popular on YouTube (uploaded on Nov 10, 2011). It was later released as a single in Mexico and was certified platinum by AMPROFON.
- Pop-Punk band Go Radio covered it on the November 21, 2011 compilation "Punk Goes Pop 4".
- Chad Sugg covered it on his 2011 digital release "Covers: Volume One".
- The Acoustic Guitar Troubadours covered it on their January 31, 2012 album "An Acoustic Tribute to Adele".
- GILLE, a mysterious Japanese singer who became an online sensation for her English covers of Japanese pop songs, uploaded a cover of "Rolling in the Deep" to her YouTube channel on 31 January 2012. This version was later released in Japan as part of her debut album on 18 July 2012.
- Judith Owen feat. Alice Russell, Michael Simmonds covered it on the March 5, 2012 digital release "Rolling in the Deep ".
- The Overtones covered it on their March 23, 2012 album "Gambling Man".
- On 9 June 2012, Celine Dion covered the song at her Vegas show at The Colosseum at Caesars Palace, before she performed the song, she told the crowd, "I love Adele so much. She's amazing."
- Boppin' B covered it on their October 26, 2012 album "Monkey Business".
- Nonsequitur covered it on their 2012 digital release "Cardboard Neighborhood".
- The Ukuleles covered it on their 2012 album "The Ukuleles".
- Vance Joy covered it on the October 18, 2013 compilation "Like a Version Nine".
- American Idol Haley Reinhart covered it.
- Ariana Grande covered it.
- Nicole Scherzinger covered it.
- Rapper Lil Wayne covered it.