"Dream On" is a power ballad by Aerosmith from their 1973 debut album, Aerosmith. Written by lead singer Steven Tyler, this song became their first major hit and classic rock radio staple. Released in June 1973, it peaked at number 59 nationally but hit big in the band's native Boston, where it was the number 1 single of the year on the less commercial top 40 station, WBZ-FM, number 5 for the year on highly rated Top 40 WRKO-AM and number 16 on heritage Top 40 WMEX-AM. The chorus of the song was famously sampled in the 2002 song Sing for the Moment by rapper Eminem on the Eminem Show album. It is also associated with the Boston Red Sox baseball organization.
The album version of "Dream On" (4:28, as opposed to the 3:25 1973 45rpm edit), was re-issued early in 1976, debuting at number 81 On January 10, breaking into the Top 40 on February 14 and peaking at number 6 on the Billboard Hot 100 national chart, April 10. Columbia chose to service Top 40 radio stations with a re-issue of the 3:25 edited version. -- Wikipedia
The Aerosmith song Dream On was covered by ...
All cover versions with details
- Greg X. Volz covered it on his 1988 album "Come Out Fighting".
- The Mission on their 1988 album "Children".
- Ronnie James Dio, Yngwie Malmsteen, Stu Hamm, Gregg Bissonette & Paul Taylor covered it on the 1999 compilation "Not the Same Old Song and Dance - Tribute to Aerosmith".
- Fisher covered it on disc 1 of their 2000 double-disc set "Uppers & Downers".
- The Alex Skolnick Trio on their 2002 album "Goodbye To Romance: Standards For A New Generation".
- The Brown Derbies on their 2004 album "Recap".
- Brooke White on her 2005 digital release "Songs From the Attic".
- Tori Amos covered it on disc 2 of his 2005 two-disc set "2005-08-21: B of A Pavilion, Boston, MA, USA".
- Michael Angelo Batio on his 2006 album "Hands Without Shadows".
- Kelly Sweet on her 2007 album "We Are One".
- Michael Johns on his 2008 digital release "Dream On".
- Blessthefall on the 2010 compilation "Punk Goes Classic Rock".
- Glee / Neil Patrick Harris / Matthew Morrison covered it on the 2010 album "Glee: The Music, Vol. 3 - Showstoppers".
- American female a cappella octet Delilah covered it on the 2011 compilation "The Sing-Off - Season 3: Episode 8 - New Country & Classic Rock".
- Anastacia covered it on her 2012 album "It's a Man's World".
- Sandi Thom covered it on her 2013 album "The Cover Collection".
- Train covered it live on the Howard Stern Show.